A really good inflatable mattress means a good nights sleep. A bad one could mean you're waking up in the middle of the night, sweating profusely, grasping your father in law's leg.
More on that "fun" story in a minute...
[Update November - 2015 : This inflatable air mattress is still going strong, LOVE it!]
Last year we were headed to the beach for a week and we needed an air bed for Christian and Cameron (8 and 6 yrs old). I was determined to get the best air bed possible.
So I fired up my best googling skills and got busy. After 3 days of research (yup, I'm a little crazy like that) here's what it basically boils down to.
7 Must Haves when Buying an Inflatable Mattress
- Don't lose air! Is that too much to ask of a freakin' inflatable mattress, stay inflated?
- Sit high off the ground. It just feels weird sleeping so close to the floor. Frankly, it's unnatural, like when a bird gets a little "too" close to you and you're like "whoa there bird, back the f**k up!"
- Feel like a "real" mattress. Sorry, I know it's not a real mattress but ya know what, that's what I want and I'm an American dammit, so give it to me.
- Inflate fast - I don't have all stinking day. Besides, that's the coolest part, the inflating. Let's have a show, entertain me!
- Built-in Pump - I've had two different air beds, or "blow up beds" as my kids call them, that had an external pump, lost it both times.
- Deflates itself - Is it really that hard to deflate an air mattress on your own. No, not really. But like I said, I wanted the "BEST!" air bed possible. Not just pretty good.
- Built to last - Seriously, I only use air beds once in a while - but when I do, they need to work.
A bad air mattress can ruin a vacation.
I should know - I once grabbed my father-in-law's leg after bad dream, brought on by an air mattress that had lost all of it's air in the middle of the night. Jenn and I were just dating back then so I was stuck sleeping on the floor of the hotel room with her parents. There I was, drenched in sweat, 2am, my hand desperately grasping his leg thinking it was the only thing that could keep me from drowning. I suddenly snapped awake…
Needless to say, this story is now retold multiple times a year and I've been on a mission to find the world's best air mattress ever since.
And last year, I found it! I found the perfect inflatable mattress.
The Insta Raised Bed with Never Flat Pump is the perfect air mattress.
It's built rock solid.
It works perfectly.
If you're buying an air mattress. THIS IS THE ONLY ONE!
- The absolute best part is the "Never Flat Pump". It's this super silent pump that comes on whenever the mattress looses any air. Yes, even in the middle of the night, it will add air, and I defy you to hear it. So when my boys were using it for a week, I never had to adjust it, it was always properly inflated.
- The main pump which does the initial inflating is also built-in, so you don't have to worry about losing it. You literally just plug it in and turn it on. So easy I had the boys do it themselves (6 and 8), they loved it!
- The "Insta Raised Bed" is raised. DUH. Not crazy high, but high enough for me to easy get in and out and I'm 6'3" with a bad knee.
- It inflates fast and stops itself when it's reached the correct firmness level. So you don't have to stand there wondering if it's done yet or if it's about to pop in your face.
- When you're done it deflates itself. You wouldn't think this is that great of a feature but it is. Just click it over to deflate and it does the rest. Sucking ever bit of air out so you can fold it up , ready to rock.
- The Insta Bed feels rock solid. I've only had mine for two years but so far so good. No issues at all. It does come with a patch kit (which I guess suggests it could break) but so far I haven't had to use it.
- Finally, this "inflatable mattress" feels like a REAL MATTRESS. In fact, I caught both kids jumping on it, just like a real mattress. I had to yell at them while at the same time marvel at the fact that the mattress was hardly moving an inch despite their best wrestling moves.
The reviews on Amazon for this baby are really, really good. One guy say's he slept on one for 9 months and he weighs 400 pounds and he loved it. A bunch of people liked how firm it was (you can adjust the firmness level to your liking)
TIP: If you buy this air bed, be sure to open it and let it air out a bit before the first use. It does have some strong odors from the vinyl. I didn't do that and I got some looks from my wife like, is this going to kill them in their sleep? They were fine, and after a day or so the smell was gone. Just sayin'
Price wise, it's right around the ballpark of the other high quality air bed. Plus, if you have Amazon Prime, it’s free two-day shipping.
So that's it. That's my best inflatable mattress review. Hope it helps. It's been swimming around in my head since I bought it, glad to finally get it up on the blog.
If you buy an "Insta-Bed with Never Flat Pump" let me know what you think of it. Cheers - Jason